The aim of this article is to describe how CloverDX reacts to the recent changes in support policy of Oracle Java. Keep in mind that the situation is still very turbulent which means that we will keep monitoring it and our decision may change for the future versions of CloverDX.
For the versions already released (CloverDX 5.1 and older), nothing changes. The complete information is in our documentation but here is a summary:
- For CloverETL versions up to 4.9, we support Oracle JDK 7 and Oracle JDK 8.
- For CloverDX 5.0 and 5.1, we support Oracle JDK 8 and Oracle JDK 9.
Changes in CloverDX 5.2
- We still support Oracle JDK 8 + we are adding support of Adopt OpenJDK 11 (HotSpot JVM) (https://adoptopenjdk.net/)
- Other vendors of OpenJDK (including the open-source JDK distribution from Oracle - Oracle OpenJDK) will not be officially supported in 5.2 because we test only against Adopt OpenJDK. However, since most of the other distributions of OpenJDK will use the same open source repository as Adopt, it is very likely that any OpenJDK distribution based on the same source repository will work with CloverDX too. The same principle applies for Oracle JDK (i.e. the commercial JDK from Oracle). Once again, if the situation on the market changes and another OpenJDK vendor gains the majority of the market, we will reconsider our decision for the future versions of CloverDX.
- Support of IBM JDK (supported only for IBM WebSphere) remains without any changes.
- We are dropping support of Oracle JDK 9 as it is not supported by Oracle anymore.
- We are skipping support of Oracle JDK 10 for the same reason.
- OpenJDK 8 will not be supported in CloverDX 5.2 but this might change in future based on the market demand. However, do not try using OpenJDK 8 yet with any version of CloverDX or CloverETL, there are major differences between Oracle JDK 8 and OpenJDK 8 causing issues with stability and performance (much more significant than in the case of JDK 11).
If you have any questions, comments or you are unsure what distribution you should choose to work with CloverDX, feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.